Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
'Well-respected' Amherst man, 71, hit and killed while getting mail
Amherst police urge anyone with information about the vehicle type or the driver to contact them at 673-4900.
The collision occurred about 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road and about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road.
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
Police would not release the name of the victim until all his relatives are notified.
"You will see this was a very good person. He was very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
The victim went to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
"We're hoping that somebody who saw something will come forward," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
The victim went to check his mailbox at the end of his driveway, Ciampoli said.
Since the victim was struck by his mailbox — which is located on the same side of the street as his house — police are working under the assumption that the vehicle was traveling toward Route 122.
The residential area is thickly settled and a popular commuter route. Given this, police said their search extends beyond area towns to all of southern New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Police say woman broke into Hollis home and took pictures - 0
- Addiction treatment doctor gets restricted license - 0
- Newmarket man charged with sex assault of 12-year-old girl - 0
- Wife charged with stabbing husband during argument - 0
- Imprisoned pair could add to their already lengthy sentences if found guilty of assault - 0
- Judge nixes house arrest for man convicted in Ponzi scheme - 0
- Raymond man faces possession of child porn charges - 0
- Man failed to note conviction on gun permit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
- Sunapee officials say they don't plan to build housing - 0
- Nursing home chaplain launches ministry - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917