New Hampshire Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
A gyrfalcon was discovered in Hampton Marsh north of the Route 101 causeway on Dec. 14 during the annual Coastal Christmas Bird Count. It has been seen in various sections of that area of the marsh since then and was last reported on the 17th. At least one peregrine falcon and one merlin have also been seen in Hampton Marsh during the past week.Snowy owls continued to be reported in New Hampshire during the past week including one at the Kollsman Sports Fields Complex in Merrimack on Dec. 14 and 15, one at Chickering Farm on River Road in Walpole on the 15th, one in Rye near Petey's Seafood Restaurant on the 17th, and several reports of up-to eight in the Hampton and Seabrook area during the past week.
A rough-legged hawk was seen in Hampton Marsh on Dec. 16.
A northern shrike was seen in Chatham on Dec. 13.
A snow goose was seen flying over Hampton on Dec. 12.
Three Lapland longspurs were seen at the Nashua Airport on Dec. 14.
Three northern pintails were seen migrating south along the coast on Dec. 15.
Additional highlights of the annual Coastal Christmas Bird Count included: a redhead and a Eurasian wigeon on Great Bay, a female king eider in Hampton, two glaucous gulls, a dovekie, a thick-billed murre, a yellow-breasted chat at Odiorne Point State Park in Rye, a Lapland longspur, an American pipit, and 26 rusty blackbirds.
A great egret was seen along the coast in North Hampton on Dec. 12.
Late-migrating songbirds reported during the past week included a Baltimore oriole, two eastern towhees, and four yellow-bellied sapsuckers.
This message is also available by phone recording: call 224-9909 and press 2 as directed or ask to be transferred. If you have seen any interesting birds recently, you can leave a message at the end of the recording or send your sightings to the RBA via e-mail at: email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hemophilia Charity Bike Ride Comes to New Hampshire - 0
- Scholars from Across U.S. Gather at Plymouth State University's 35th Annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum April 25 and 26 - 0
- Former legendary Foreigner frontman Lou Gramm to perform - 1
- Granite State campuses leap into spring with April performances - 0
- Joan Osborne's new album beats with matters of the heart - 0
- Hood Museum of Art wields views of power, strength, artistry and ceremony with exhibition of African objects - 0
- Painters' works on view in Holderness - 0
- Stiletto Brass Quintet steps onto PSU's Silver Center Friday night - 0
- Milwaukee painter David Fleming shares work in Rochester showing - 0
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Hood Museum of Art wields views of power, strength, artistry and ceremony with exhibition of African objects
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy