Home » News » Public Safety
Police warn of holiday pitfalls
"The holidays can be a difficult time for a lot of people," said Lt. Denis Linehan of the Nashua Police Department.
Local police have dealt with domestic violence incidents on Christmas Day in years past, and Linehan said a lot of the problems begin with alcohol.
"Saving lives on New Hampshire roadways is a top priority, and we need everyone's help to do it," said Col. Robert Quinn of the New Hampshire State Police. "Making the choice to drive a vehicle after you've been drinking is not worth the risk of killing yourself or someone else."
State police, along with the New Hampshire Driving Toward Zero Coalition, are hoping to reduce the number of serious injuries and fatalities on local roadways this holiday season and year round.
And then there's always the winter weather.
"We are now experiencing winter driving conditions across New Hampshire, and that can limit visibility and require slower speeds," Chris Clement, New Hampshire Department of Transportation Commissioner, said in a statement. "It is extremely important to be alert and aware when driving in winter conditions. Drivers should plan ahead, give themselves extra time to reach their destination safely and allow additional room between their vehicles and others."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads