Home » News » Public Safety
Charlestown family hospitalized after fire
Firefighters were called to Morways Mobile Home Park off Lover's Lane around 1:50 a.m., Charlestown Fire Chief Charlie Baraly said Friday.
Police on the scene reported the trailer was fully involved, so Baraly upgraded the fire from one-alarm to two-alarm, he said.
The residents, owners Wayne and Peggy Simoneaw and their 20-year-old daughter and 25-year-old son, had been sleeping when the fire started, but were out of the home when firefighters arrived, Baraly said.
Two family pets, a dog and a hamster, also escaped the fire.
All four residents were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Friday afternoon, Baraly said Wayne Simoneaw was still in the hospital for treatment.
Firefighters are investigating the cause of the fire, but it does not appear to be suspicious, Baraly said.
The mobile home was completely destroyed and mobile homes on either side of it sustained minor siding damage.
Firefighters from Langdon, North Walpole, Walpole and Springfield, Vermont, responded to the scene with man-power and equipment.
Claremont firefighters covered the Charlestown fire station during the response.
Because the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived they had to act quickly, he said. Firefighters quickly knocked down the blaze in about 45 minutes, but were on scene till about 6:30 a.m. making sure all hot spots were out.
“The firefighters on the scene did a fabulous job,” Baraly said.
The Red Cross has been notified to provide shelter for the family.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 1
- Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck - 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH