Home » News » Public Safety
Charlestown family hospitalized after fire
Firefighters were called to Morways Mobile Home Park off Lover's Lane around 1:50 a.m., Charlestown Fire Chief Charlie Baraly said Friday.
Police on the scene reported the trailer was fully involved, so Baraly upgraded the fire from one-alarm to two-alarm, he said.
The residents, owners Wayne and Peggy Simoneaw and their 20-year-old daughter and 25-year-old son, had been sleeping when the fire started, but were out of the home when firefighters arrived, Baraly said.
Two family pets, a dog and a hamster, also escaped the fire.
All four residents were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Friday afternoon, Baraly said Wayne Simoneaw was still in the hospital for treatment.
Firefighters are investigating the cause of the fire, but it does not appear to be suspicious, Baraly said.
The mobile home was completely destroyed and mobile homes on either side of it sustained minor siding damage.
Firefighters from Langdon, North Walpole, Walpole and Springfield, Vermont, responded to the scene with man-power and equipment.
Claremont firefighters covered the Charlestown fire station during the response.
Because the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived they had to act quickly, he said. Firefighters quickly knocked down the blaze in about 45 minutes, but were on scene till about 6:30 a.m. making sure all hot spots were out.
“The firefighters on the scene did a fabulous job,” Baraly said.
The Red Cross has been notified to provide shelter for the family.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release