Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Rockingham County attorney suspension continues amid probe
Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams, right, listens to his attorney, Michael Ramsdell, at Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord on Thursday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
No specific allegations against Reams have been made public.
When asked by McNamara, she said she could not commit to a timetable as to when the investigation may wrap up.
Edwards said the investigation kicked off in mid-October, when her office received a call from a Rockingham County attorney alleging incidents of misconduct. Staff from the AG's office interviewed witnesses outside of Reams' office, and the U.S. Attorney's Office and Federal Bureau of Investigation were brought in on the investigation as well. The evidence was corroborated, and Foster decided to remove Reams from office, doing so on Nov. 6, in order to have "an unfettered investigation" when speaking to additional witnesses and examining documents.
Reams' attorney, Michael Ramsdell, on Thursday again argued against the attorney general's right to remove his client from office, while also requesting discovery information into the investigation against Reams.
Judge McNamara denied Ramsdell's request in a 12-page order emailed to both parties on Wednesday.
Ramsdell said that the judge's statement that Thursday's hearing was a preliminary injunction was wrong, and that he instead he was before the court asking for a reconsideration of the decision to suspend Reams from office last month. Ramsdell said that the only other case on record involving the removal of a county attorney in New Hampshire, Eames vs. Rudman in 1975, involved an attorney that was removed after authorities brought a misdemeanor charge against the attorney after completing a brief investigation. Ramsdell said that in this case Reams was suspended without notice, when he "wasn't even in the state," and that seven weeks later no charges have been brought against his client.
McNamara argued that the attorney general had "no authority to remove," suggesting that if the AG's office wanted to remove a county attorney for misconduct, it could bring forward a complaint and outline the reasons, a process that would include the discovery that Ramsdell was requesting, along with a trial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge OKs early release for former teacher convicted of possessing child porn - 0
- Nashua man indicted for allegedly shooting girlfriend - 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed for fourth time - 0
- Manchester couple faces robbery, theft charges after Salem mall incident - 0
- Chainsaw-wielding man facing multiple charges over Sept. incident - 0
- Woman faces assault charge after Monopoly game gets out of hand - 14
- Plea deal gives shooter 15-30 years in 2012 death of Manchester man - 0
- Missouri governor urges calm ahead of grand jury decision on shooting; findings to be announced at 9 p.m. - 0
- Two Manchester brothers indicted in Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483