Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford
BEDFORD — A contractor at the former Sheraton-Wayfarer Conference Center broke an eight-inch private fire service water line Thursday, resulting in rusty water coming out of the taps for residents on the Manchester's West Side, according to a Manchester Water Works official.
The water main, which was a private fire service line, broke about 10:45 a.m. Guy Chabot, deputy director-distribution for Manchester Water Works, said the broken main caused a large leak and flooded the private property.
When it broke, he said, it backed up water inside the cast-iron pipe, stirring up particles built up on the interior which ultimately resulted in rusty and dirty-looking water coming out of faucets of residents in the Varney Street area of Manchester. Chabot said residents may still drink the water even though it looks rusty.
Chabot said to clear the lines, residents should turn on the cold water in the bathtub and let it run for 15 minutes. If the water isn't cleared by then, he said to call water works at 624-6494.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Downtown, it's all in the restaurant family - 1
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 1
- City Matters: Little sleep for Vietnam vet - 3
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 10
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 'Taps' is soundtrack of summer ceremony - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Central buddies play on - 1
- DIY addition draws city's, neighbors' ire - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 11
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'