West Side tap water rusty after break in water line
BEDFORD — A contractor at the former Sheraton-Wayfarer Conference Center broke an 8-inch private fire service water line Thursday, resulting in rusty water coming out of the taps for residents on Manchester’s West Side, according to a Manchester Water Works official.
The water main, which was a private fire service line, broke at about 10:45 a.m. Guy Chabot, deputy director-distribution for Manchester Water Works, said the broken main caused a large leak and flooded the private property.
When it broke, he said, it backed up water inside the cast-iron pipe, stirring up particles built up on the interior which ultimately resulted in rusty and dirty-looking water coming out of faucets of residents in the Varney Street area of Manchester. Chabot said residents may still drink the water even though it looks rusty.
Chabot said to clear the lines, residents should turn on the cold water in the bathtub and let it run for 15 minutes. If the water isn’t cleared by then, he said to call Manchester Water Works at 624-6494.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate