West Side tap water rusty after break in water line
BEDFORD — A contractor at the former Sheraton-Wayfarer Conference Center broke an 8-inch private fire service water line Thursday, resulting in rusty water coming out of the taps for residents on Manchester’s West Side, according to a Manchester Water Works official.
The water main, which was a private fire service line, broke at about 10:45 a.m. Guy Chabot, deputy director-distribution for Manchester Water Works, said the broken main caused a large leak and flooded the private property.
When it broke, he said, it backed up water inside the cast-iron pipe, stirring up particles built up on the interior which ultimately resulted in rusty and dirty-looking water coming out of faucets of residents in the Varney Street area of Manchester. Chabot said residents may still drink the water even though it looks rusty.
Chabot said to clear the lines, residents should turn on the cold water in the bathtub and let it run for 15 minutes. If the water isn’t cleared by then, he said to call Manchester Water Works at 624-6494.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 64
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 56
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 57
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test