$13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway
Stephen Dookran, city engineer, is recommending that E.D. Swett of Concord be awarded a $13,792,727 contract to construct two large portions of the nearly two-mile urban roadway.
The Board of Public Works is expected to vote on the contract Thursday, which includes construction of the parkway's Nashua River Bridge and Fairmount Street Bridge.
"It is recommended that a contract be awarded to E.D. Swett based on their price bid," Dookran said in a memo to the board.
Higher bids were received from Beck and Bellucci of Franklin, R.S. Audley Inc., Reed and Reed of Woolwich, Maine, and Cianbro of Pittsfield, Maine.
According to the proposal, construction of the new Nashua River Bridge — the most significant portion of the parkway — will be completed by either May or August of 2015.
Two months ago, aldermen authorized the first major construction contract for the parkway to R.S. Audley Inc., at a price-tag of nearly $11.1 million. The first phase includes the northern portion of the parkway such as widening and upgrading Broad Street east of the Exit 6 interchange, as well as replacing the Baldwin Street Bridge over the Pan Am railroad tracks.
The Broad Street Parkway is an $82 million road project that will provide another crossing over the Nashua River, allowing motorists to bypass Amherst Street, possibly alleviate downtown traffic and potentially attract more business to the Millyard Technology Park.
Work has already begun on the northern portion of the project, as tree clearing is nearly complete, the existing Baldwin Street Bridge has been dismantled and demolition of the building foundations at the former Fimbel Door facility and 44 Broad St. are almost complete, according to a construction update prepared by John Vancor, project manager with Hayner Swanson Inc. of Nashua.
In addition, an on-site asbestos disposal area has been prepared, and placement of excavated asbestos material has commenced, says Vancor's written update for the Board of Public Works.
Vancor was unavailable for comment on Tuesday. The proposal for the $13.8 million contract for the second major phase of construction will be reviewed by the board on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. at 9 Riverside St. The meeting is open to the public.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pipeline protest in Fitzwilliam - 0
- Poll shows Groton voters oppose new wind plants - 2
- Opposition lines up against new Alexandria wind plant proposal - 1
- PSNH's rate request puts it lower than competitors, a reversal from last year - 6
- Pipeline meeting in Mason draws big crowd - 0
- Kinder Morgan reveals route for pipeline at Milford meeting - 1
- Nature vs. man: Keeping the lights on - 1
- Pipeline pushback seen in NH - 7
- Meeting will inform Mason residents about proposed pipeline - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads