Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys Keene house, no one injured, but pets missing
"Basically the house was destroyed. The entire attic area of the house was destroyed by fire," Fire Chief Mark Howard said Monday afternoon.
The fire department received numerous calls around 10:28 a.m. reporting smoke and fire coming out of the attic of a one-story ranch at 2 Ryder St.
Firefighters found heavy fire involving an addition of the ranch through the roof and extensive smoke coming out of the attic space of the house, Howard said.
"The entire attic area of the entire structure was engulfed within about 10 minutes," Howard said.
Howard said an elderly man, his daughter and her family resided in the house. Three dogs were rescued from the fire, one that ran from the house when firefighters first opened the door to fight the fire, one was found in the basement and another was found on the first floor. Two cats, several snakes and a hamster are missing.
Keene fire investigators are working to pinpoint the cause and origin of the fire, however, at this time it appears it was a wood stove fire, Howard said. "It's not felt to be suspicious. We believe it's going to be related to a heating, wood stove application."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 2
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too