Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership
The votes were non-binding and will be taken again on Jan. 6 after newly elected members Farrington and Dotty Oden are officially seated. No one could remember exactly why the board began the tradition of casting an early straw vote, but it does give members time to prepare and hit the ground running in January.
Board members voted, 5-4, for Farrington over Robert Hallowell, the current board president. Farrington previously served on the board from 1990 to 1997 and was president for five of those years.
In addition to tracking motions and votes, the clerk fills and leads meetings when the president is unavailable."Change is healthy," said Muise who seemed happy to accept the job.
"Dennis Ryder has only been on the board for one term but it seems a lot longer," joked Hallowell, who presented Ryder with a plaque from the school district thanking him for his service.
"He says what he means and he means what he says, and I have found him to be a great resource," said Hallowell.
"I don't know if everyone appreciates the time spent," said Hallowell.
"(Tom Vaughan) was extremely helpful to this board, and he will be sorely missed for the level of effort he put in."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 2
- Another View -- Charles Lane: The unintended consequences of our immigration laws are severe - 0
- Rockets are the bitter fruits of Israeli generosity - 0
- John Stossel: Why reporting good news is such a problem - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: In Hollywood, liberal values reign, except at the box office - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Impeaching Obama would be a mistake - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox's Holt has All-Star history