Home » News » Public Safety
Police remind homeowners to protect your home anytime
Authorities are reminding homeowners about a free house check program offered by the Merrimack Police Department for citizens that may be leaving their home unattended while on vacation or traveling for Christmas.
All local residents are urged to register for the house check service by calling the department’s communication center and completing a registration form over the phone.
If something seems out of place, the homeowner or an emergency contact person will be notified, according to Kelleher. Police then make a record of all the checks completed on the house so that homeowners will have proper documentation.
It takes a quick phone call to register, according to Kelleher, explaining homeowners can wait until the day they leave to sign up. To register for the house check program, call 424-3774 and select zero to be connected with the communication center. Police are also reminding residents who may have ordered online gift merchandise to plan in advance for any packages that may be delivered. Anyone who is expecting a package by mail who may not be home at the time of delivery should plan to have a trustworthy neighbor pick up the package when it is delivered.
Kelleher said there have already been reports of unattended packages being stolen this month in Merrimack.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 29
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 14
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 25
- Londonderry response team celebrates 10th anniversary - 0
- Police say to expect more arrests in wake of Keene chaos - 6
- Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation - 8
- Bedford woman injured when tree falls on her - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man indicted on charge he ordered murder of city man - 0
- Husband found guilty, wife awaiting trial in murder of St. Johnsbury, Vt. teacher - 0
- No murder charge in stabbing of Manchester man in 'Black Acres;' self-defense claimed - 0
- One suspected gunman dead, police looking for more suspects in shooting at Canadian parliament - 1
- Keene police release riot images, seek help with identification - 0
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon to care for any potential NH Ebola patients, state announces - 0
- Salem mall renovations on target - 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 3
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 13
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?