Home » News » Public Safety
Hollis police looking to hire more officers
During a joint budget workshop between the Budget Committee and selectmen Monday night, Hollis Police Chief James Sartell said he's hoping to fill the equivalent of two full-time patrol officers next year. The most likely scenario would be the hiring of part-time officers to fill those hours.
Sartell said the department has "had some unique staffing issues" recently, with retirements, resignations and officer sick leave resulting in the department running at emergency staffing levels over the past year.
Right now, there are 11 active police officers in Hollis, though 15 officers are the ideal number, Sartell said.
The rural police force has seen increases in crime. Sartell said there's been a 9 percent increase in "total crimes against persons" and a 15 percent increase in "total crimes against society" this past year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four