Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze
This home on Loudon Ridge Road in Loudon was destroyed in a three-alarm fire Wednesday night. DAN SEUFERT/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDENT
LOUDON — For the second time in one day, firefighters were called for a three-alarm fire in town, with a home on Loudon Ridge Road burning to the ground late Wednesday night.
On Wednesday morning, a fire leveled a large garage at 602 Clough Hill Road.
Firefighters from 10 surrounding towns were called to fight the midnight fire, which left one man homeless. The homeowner says he likely won’t rebuild because the house was not insured.
Fire Chief Richard D. Wright stood with the occupant of the home and the homeowner at 352 Loudon Ridge Road Thursday morning. The three were exchanging thoughts on the burned-out home, Wright said.
Standing in a cold breeze along the roadside, a tired-looking but well-bundled Wright shook his head.
“It was the second one we had in one day, you know,” he said. “Both three alarms.”
When firefighters arrived Wednesday night, they found the two-story house with a 20- by 30-foot ell in flames, Wright said.
“There was heavy fire in the attic,” he said, “and the back ell had broken out in fire as well.”
Firefighting was difficult, as it was very cold and the nearest water source was miles away, but firefighters trucked the water in from a few area ponds, he said.
“One of the reasons we needed a third alarm was to get water here; there was no water source nearby,” Wright said.
The fire was doused, leaving charred remains of the first floor. Most fire crews left at 2:30 a.m., he said.
The fire’s cause is not of suspicious origin, he said. “It appears to be related to the wood stove,” Wright said.
The owner of the home, Howard Pearl, said the person living in the home was a friend, not a tenant. He is safe and will have a place to stay, Pearl said.
The home was old, he said.
“I think it was built in 1915,” he said. “It was an old house, it wasn’t in the best of shape.”
Pearl said he likely would not rebuild, as he did not have insurance on the home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'