Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze
This home on Loudon Ridge Road in Loudon was destroyed in a three-alarm fire Wednesday night. DAN SEUFERT/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDENT
LOUDON — For the second time in one day, firefighters were called for a three-alarm fire in town, with a home on Loudon Ridge Road burning to the ground late Wednesday night.
On Wednesday morning, a fire leveled a large garage at 602 Clough Hill Road.
Firefighters from 10 surrounding towns were called to fight the midnight fire, which left one man homeless. The homeowner says he likely won’t rebuild because the house was not insured.
Fire Chief Richard D. Wright stood with the occupant of the home and the homeowner at 352 Loudon Ridge Road Thursday morning. The three were exchanging thoughts on the burned-out home, Wright said.
Standing in a cold breeze along the roadside, a tired-looking but well-bundled Wright shook his head.
“It was the second one we had in one day, you know,” he said. “Both three alarms.”
When firefighters arrived Wednesday night, they found the two-story house with a 20- by 30-foot ell in flames, Wright said.
“There was heavy fire in the attic,” he said, “and the back ell had broken out in fire as well.”
Firefighting was difficult, as it was very cold and the nearest water source was miles away, but firefighters trucked the water in from a few area ponds, he said.
“One of the reasons we needed a third alarm was to get water here; there was no water source nearby,” Wright said.
The fire was doused, leaving charred remains of the first floor. Most fire crews left at 2:30 a.m., he said.
The fire’s cause is not of suspicious origin, he said. “It appears to be related to the wood stove,” Wright said.
The owner of the home, Howard Pearl, said the person living in the home was a friend, not a tenant. He is safe and will have a place to stay, Pearl said.
The home was old, he said.
“I think it was built in 1915,” he said. “It was an old house, it wasn’t in the best of shape.”
Pearl said he likely would not rebuild, as he did not have insurance on the home.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings