Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman
Paul Fierley, 51, was sentenced Thursday in Rockingham County Superior Court on three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault. (JAMES A. KIMBLE)
Paul Fierley, 51, was repeatedly called a predator at his sentencing hearing in Rockingham County Superior Court for targeting the woman who he knew did not have the mental capacity to give consent for sex.
About a month prior to the assaults, Fierley was convicted of simple assault for kissing another neighbor in the same apartment building, which largely houses elderly residents and adults with disabilities.
Public defender Deanna Campbell questioned how much of an impact the assaults had on her day-to-day life. She argued that Fierley, who she said suffered from depression, anxiety and alcohol issues, should serve a 3 ½ to 7 year prison term.
"One thing that seems clear to this court is that Mr. Fierley would have to be a mushroom living under a rock to think that (she) had a full understanding of what was going to happen to her," Wageling said.
Conway said that the woman could follow routines well, but did not known how to respond to novel situations.
"This is a very tragic case because this family really wanted to give their daughter independence because they realized that someday they are not going to be there," Conway said.
But Wageling added another decade onto the maximum term, so it would ensure that Fierley would be under added supervision once he is released from state prison. He will be required to register as a sex offender for life, and undergo a battery of counseling and education before his release.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police release photos from alleged hotel robbery - 0
- Nashua driver charged after crashing car 25 minutes after getting 92-mph speeding ticket - 1
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 2
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 28
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 3
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
- Total Votes: 917