Home » News » Public Safety
Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike
"His greatest passions were hockey, lacrosse and his truck," said John Moody, interim superintendent of the Hollis Brookline School District.
The pickup truck is believed to have slid on black ice, busting through a guardrail and rolling over several times before coming to rest on the Exit 1 ramp. Police said Ricard appears to have been killed instantly in the crash and alcohol wasn't a factor.
Moody said two former students had died earlier this year, and several staff members were also mourning the loss of family members.
"He was just a funny, fun-loving and loyal person who was also a great athlete," Barnes said Tuesday evening.
"These kids are just absolutely stunned right now," Barnes said. "This is someone they knew, that many were close to. This is someone they saw in the hallways each day and now he's not there."
The high school stayed open late Tuesday evening for those seeking counseling and on Wednesday, a planned early release day for a scheduled teachers' workshop, district officials are bringing in a crisis intervention team to offer additional assistance.Moody said he's visited three of the district's schools on Tuesday where he extended offers of services to those who'd previously worked with Ricard, who played lacrosse and hockey throughout his childhood in Hollis.
Moody said a possible school-wide memorial service for Ricard would be explored, pending the wishes of Ricard's family members.
Those who witnessed Monday night's fatal crash or have any additional information are encouraged to contact State Police Troop B at 666-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus