Home » News » Public Safety
Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike
"His greatest passions were hockey, lacrosse and his truck," said John Moody, interim superintendent of the Hollis Brookline School District.
The pickup truck is believed to have slid on black ice, busting through a guardrail and rolling over several times before coming to rest on the Exit 1 ramp. Police said Ricard appears to have been killed instantly in the crash and alcohol wasn't a factor.
Moody said two former students had died earlier this year, and several staff members were also mourning the loss of family members.
"He was just a funny, fun-loving and loyal person who was also a great athlete," Barnes said Tuesday evening.
"These kids are just absolutely stunned right now," Barnes said. "This is someone they knew, that many were close to. This is someone they saw in the hallways each day and now he's not there."
The high school stayed open late Tuesday evening for those seeking counseling and on Wednesday, a planned early release day for a scheduled teachers' workshop, district officials are bringing in a crisis intervention team to offer additional assistance.Moody said he's visited three of the district's schools on Tuesday where he extended offers of services to those who'd previously worked with Ricard, who played lacrosse and hockey throughout his childhood in Hollis.
Moody said a possible school-wide memorial service for Ricard would be explored, pending the wishes of Ricard's family members.
Those who witnessed Monday night's fatal crash or have any additional information are encouraged to contact State Police Troop B at 666-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua bomb squad deployed, people evacuated after fireworks explosion - 0
- Driver trapped by live wires after early morning crash in Bow - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- Nashua police department adds 8 new members - 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 45
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released