Snow deal: Plows, snow blowers, shovels all have their benefits and drawbacks
Homeowners can choose to clear their driveways with tractors or snow blowers, or they can rest easy and wait for the plow man to come, and both options have their benefits and drawbacks. (Nancy Bean Foster Photo)
The first question folks have to ask themselves before hiring someone to plow or investing in a tractor or a snow blower, is whether they want to be outside when the weather is frightful.
"When there's only a small amount of snow, it's better to clear with a plow," said Therrien.
Gage said that when heavy, wet snow falls, snow blowers often can't rise to the challenge, leaving driveways a sloppy mess.
The biggest drawback with plowing is snow banks, said Therrien. "People don't like snow banks during a heavy winter, and plows create snow banks."
And sometimes, even the best plow guy can't compete with the weather and a tractor needs to be brought in to remove some of the snow, said Dan Gallant of Blue Willow Landscapes in Brentwood.
"It takes me minutes to do your driveway while it takes you a half-hour to an hour to snow blow it," he said. "And when you go on vacation or have your house up for sale, having someone come by to plow makes it look like somebody's there so burglars don't target your home."
"You don't have to depend on anyone else, and sometimes it gives you a sense of accomplishment to do it yourself," he said.
"We don't usually plow more than 10 or 12 times a year, and at $20 to $25 a driveway, that's pretty cost-effective," said Gallant.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist