Snow deal: Plows, snow blowers, shovels all have their benefits and drawbacks
Homeowners can choose to clear their driveways with tractors or snow blowers, or they can rest easy and wait for the plow man to come, and both options have their benefits and drawbacks. (Nancy Bean Foster Photo)
The first question folks have to ask themselves before hiring someone to plow or investing in a tractor or a snow blower, is whether they want to be outside when the weather is frightful.
"When there's only a small amount of snow, it's better to clear with a plow," said Therrien.
Gage said that when heavy, wet snow falls, snow blowers often can't rise to the challenge, leaving driveways a sloppy mess.
The biggest drawback with plowing is snow banks, said Therrien. "People don't like snow banks during a heavy winter, and plows create snow banks."
And sometimes, even the best plow guy can't compete with the weather and a tractor needs to be brought in to remove some of the snow, said Dan Gallant of Blue Willow Landscapes in Brentwood.
"It takes me minutes to do your driveway while it takes you a half-hour to an hour to snow blow it," he said. "And when you go on vacation or have your house up for sale, having someone come by to plow makes it look like somebody's there so burglars don't target your home."
"You don't have to depend on anyone else, and sometimes it gives you a sense of accomplishment to do it yourself," he said.
"We don't usually plow more than 10 or 12 times a year, and at $20 to $25 a driveway, that's pretty cost-effective," said Gallant.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Apparent murder-suicide in Lincoln - 0
- Bullpen stakes Royals to 2-1 World Series edge - 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Hassan, Havenstein spar over education
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood