Snow deal: Plows, snow blowers, shovels all have their benefits and drawbacks
The first question folks have to ask themselves before hiring someone to plow or investing in a tractor or a snow blower, is whether they want to be outside when the weather is frightful.
"When there's only a small amount of snow, it's better to clear with a plow," said Therrien.
Gage said that when heavy, wet snow falls, snow blowers often can't rise to the challenge, leaving driveways a sloppy mess.
The biggest drawback with plowing is snow banks, said Therrien. "People don't like snow banks during a heavy winter, and plows create snow banks."
And sometimes, even the best plow guy can't compete with the weather and a tractor needs to be brought in to remove some of the snow, said Dan Gallant of Blue Willow Landscapes in Brentwood.
"It takes me minutes to do your driveway while it takes you a half-hour to an hour to snow blow it," he said. "And when you go on vacation or have your house up for sale, having someone come by to plow makes it look like somebody's there so burglars don't target your home."
"You don't have to depend on anyone else, and sometimes it gives you a sense of accomplishment to do it yourself," he said.
"We don't usually plow more than 10 or 12 times a year, and at $20 to $25 a driveway, that's pretty cost-effective," said Gallant.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
- After-school activities canceled in New Boston, Goffstown and Dunbarton - 0
- Pembroke extends parking ban - 0
- Latest storm will make it a short day for many students - 3
- Here we go again... Fast-moving storm headed to Granite State - 0
- Remember: Winter can't last forever - 0
- Merrimack River's freezing patterns pose scientific questions - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief