Home » News » Public Safety
Newington accident victim succumbs to her injuries
Ellen Busch, 75, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where she had been transported after the accident.
According to Newington Police Lt. Scott Qualls, Busch had family in the area who were with her pretty much around the clock from the time of the accident until she passed away.
Qualls said Busch was in a crosswalk near the Old Navy and Ulta stores at the Crossings at Fox Run shopping mall Friday just after 7 p.m. when she was struck by a Dodge 1500 truck driven by Christopher Denen, 52, of York, Maine.
Denen called in the accident and was on scene when fire crews arrived two to three minutes later, but no other witnesses came forward at the scene.
Qualls said they are still looking for witnesses who may have seen the accident in the busy parking lot, which was full of holiday shoppers at the time.
Qualls said every time he goes into one of those parking lots, he is amazed at the number of people walking around and then how few witnesses there seem to be when something like this happens.
"At this point, we have not talked to any witnesses," Qualls said. He said two people have called in, but police are still waiting for them to come give statements in person.
"It's always important if someone was in the area because any minor details, someone who might think something as minute as just saying they saw a person or vehicle in a certain position at a certain time may be very important to our investigation," Qualls said. "We always consider everything helpful."
So far, no charges have been filed and the accident remains under investigation. Qualls said there was no real indication at the scene of alcohol or speed being involved, but nothing has been ruled out.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents