Home » News » Public Safety
Newington accident victim succumbs to her injuries
Ellen Busch, 75, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where she had been transported after the accident.
According to Newington Police Lt. Scott Qualls, Busch had family in the area who were with her pretty much around the clock from the time of the accident until she passed away.
Qualls said Busch was in a crosswalk near the Old Navy and Ulta stores at the Crossings at Fox Run shopping mall Friday just after 7 p.m. when she was struck by a Dodge 1500 truck driven by Christopher Denen, 52, of York, Maine.
Denen called in the accident and was on scene when fire crews arrived two to three minutes later, but no other witnesses came forward at the scene.
Qualls said they are still looking for witnesses who may have seen the accident in the busy parking lot, which was full of holiday shoppers at the time.
Qualls said every time he goes into one of those parking lots, he is amazed at the number of people walking around and then how few witnesses there seem to be when something like this happens.
"At this point, we have not talked to any witnesses," Qualls said. He said two people have called in, but police are still waiting for them to come give statements in person.
"It's always important if someone was in the area because any minor details, someone who might think something as minute as just saying they saw a person or vehicle in a certain position at a certain time may be very important to our investigation," Qualls said. "We always consider everything helpful."
So far, no charges have been filed and the accident remains under investigation. Qualls said there was no real indication at the scene of alcohol or speed being involved, but nothing has been ruled out.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 10
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax