George Will: The choices we have on Iran
In September 2012, the Senate voted 90-1 for a nonbinding resolution "ruling out any policy that would rely on containment as an option in response to the Iranian nuclear threat." The implication was that containment is a tepid and passive policy.
But if a nuclear Iran is for Israel unthinkable because it is uncontainable, Israel's only self-reliant recourse - a nuclear attack on Iran's nuclear infrastructure - is unthinkable. And, Pollack thinks, unnecessary. The existence of Israel's nuclear arsenal is a sufficient deterrent: The Iranian leadership is "aggressive, anti-American, anti-status quo, anti-Semitic, duplicitous, and murderous, but it is not irrational, and overall, it is not imprudent."
For many decades prior to 1989, humanity was haunted by the possibility that facets of modernity - bureaucracy and propaganda technologies - could produce permanent tyrannies impervious to change. (See Hannah Arendt's "The Origins of Totalitarianism.") In "Nineteen Eighty-Four," George Orwell wrote, "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever." Since 1989, however, tyrannies seem more brittle. And Pollack believes "the basic ingredients of regime change exist in Iran," which "today is a land of labor protests and political demonstrations."
George Will is a columnist for Newsweek in Washington, D.C.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads