George Will: The choices we have on Iran
In September 2012, the Senate voted 90-1 for a nonbinding resolution "ruling out any policy that would rely on containment as an option in response to the Iranian nuclear threat." The implication was that containment is a tepid and passive policy.
But if a nuclear Iran is for Israel unthinkable because it is uncontainable, Israel's only self-reliant recourse - a nuclear attack on Iran's nuclear infrastructure - is unthinkable. And, Pollack thinks, unnecessary. The existence of Israel's nuclear arsenal is a sufficient deterrent: The Iranian leadership is "aggressive, anti-American, anti-status quo, anti-Semitic, duplicitous, and murderous, but it is not irrational, and overall, it is not imprudent."
For many decades prior to 1989, humanity was haunted by the possibility that facets of modernity - bureaucracy and propaganda technologies - could produce permanent tyrannies impervious to change. (See Hannah Arendt's "The Origins of Totalitarianism.") In "Nineteen Eighty-Four," George Orwell wrote, "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever." Since 1989, however, tyrannies seem more brittle. And Pollack believes "the basic ingredients of regime change exist in Iran," which "today is a land of labor protests and political demonstrations."
George Will is a columnist for Newsweek in Washington, D.C.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax