Youngsters show how they would battle 'Nature's Fury'
The Lego vehicle from the Shaker Road School of Concord makes its way around the course during the 2013 New Hampshire FIRST Lego League Championship Tournament at Nashua South High School Saturday.Mark Bolton/Union Leader
"A lot of credit goes to the team managers and coaches who help them learn how to collaborate and develop their interpersonal skills," said Chan.
"On the front are two chain saws," explained team member Ryan Desaulniers, who added it would be helpful during the ice storms that fill roads with broken tree branches.
Teams were also focused on the robotics game, which involved building robots with motion, light and sound sensors that were capable of working through an exacting obstacle course of hazards.
Many of the adults at the event were awed by the amount of work the teams put in and the level of sophistication of their ideas and designs. More than one parent admitted to not doing anything close to solving the problems of natural disasters when they were 12.
Cormier said she and Griffin didn't have too much to do with the actual projects, which she said were really challenging.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads