UNH lecturers seek to unionize
The full-time contract lecturers want to form a union as a chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) and have organized as a group known as the University of New Hampshire Lecturers United AAUP.
If the PELRB reviews the petition and determines there is enough support, lecturers would hold a secret-ballot election early next year to vote on whether to form the union.
Lecturers aren't paid as much as professors, aren't eligible for tenure and can't join the professors union."We lack a transparent process of evaluation, a standardized process for contract renewals, and fair and transparent grievance policies," said Sarah Hirsch, a lecturer of Spanish.
University provost Lisa MacFarlane argues a lecturers union isn't needed.
"We believe that UNH has made many gains that benefit lecturers through direct communication and that the involvement of a union or collective bargaining is not necessary," she said in a statement.
"Transparent, consistent contracts would greatly improve the sense of job security for lecturers and would enhance our ability to teach with excellence. As more lecturers serve UNH, it only makes sense to provide that security," said Adam St. Jean, lecturer in chemical engineering.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief