Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96
James Baker, the man Franky Rojas stabbed in the heart on Dec. 4, 1996, at 455 Pine St., survived because of the medical intervention of physicians at Elliot Hospital who resuscitated him and then did emergency surgery to repair his damaged heart.
Authorities said the day of the assault Baker and his wife went to the room where Rojas was staying after partying with him the night before. Baker’s wife testified Rojas opened the door and lunged forward with a knife, stabbing Baker in the chest. She said Rojas glared at her and she thought he might attack her, but instead he went back into his room with a “crazy” look in his eye. Baker stumbled down the hall toward his room and collapsed.
Rojas, who represented himself at trial, maintained he acted in self-defense. He said Baker came to his room and maliciously attacked him with a stick. He told the jury he was entitled to use deadly force because he was in his dwelling.
He also admitted he used many aliases over the years, likening it to “actors in a movie.”
Rojas faces 71/2 to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced in about 30 days.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested after two-state pursuit facing more charges - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Second arrest made in Portsmouth store robberies - 0
- Probable cause hearings set for pair facing series of drug charges - 0
- Arrested school construction employees back at work in Unity - 0
- Dover man questioned regarding Maine double murder - 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 3
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917