Home » News » Public Safety
Fundraiser tonight to benefit injured man
Meanwhile, Ornelas, 54, of Manchester is making progress in his recovery.
A friend who visited him at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston about 1 1/2 weeks ago said Ornelas was talking and upbeat. He no longer required a breathing tube, but still could not move from the neck down.
"I was very surprised at how cheerful he was. He was talking. Somebody brought him a steak tip dinner and he cut it up and ate it like the Wolfman. So he's doing pretty well," said the friend, who asked not to be identified.
On Nov. 27, MGH reported Ornelas' condition had been upgraded from fair to good. Ornelas will be transferred to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston as soon as a bed opens up for him. It was unclear Wednesday whether the transfer occurred.
What happened to Ornelas is the focus of a criminal investigation being done by the Hillsborough County Attorney's office and state Attorney General's office. Ornelas went to Elliot Hospital Oct. 15 because he went off his medications he takes for his mental illness, family said. On Oct. 16, he allegedly attacked a security guard. At least three security guards and a Manchester police officer subdued him. He was arrested and booked at Manchester police headquarters for simple assault, then transferred to Hillsborough County House of Corrections about midnight Oct. 17. About 9:30 a.m. that day, Ornelas came back to Elliot Hospital by ambulance with a broken neck.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads