Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger
Comedian Chris Rock was nearer the mark:
Seems our Asian tiger is going tiger as well.
Sharply escalating its clash with Japan over ownership of the Senkaku Islands, Beijing has established an air defense identification zone over the islands and a huge stretch of the East China Sea. Before entering its ADIZ, says Beijing, all planes must now notify China.
Clearly, China precipitated and pushed this crisis. Since the new century began, it has been asserting long-dormant and extravagant claims of national sovereignty. What is the China of Xi Jinping about? With Maoism and Marxism a dead faith, the Communist Party is no longer able to invoke world revolution to justify its monopoly on power. Xi Jinping's party needs to ground its claim to absolute and permanent power on some other animating force. China is rooting its new claims in the old standbys — history, tribe, and nation — the natural recourse of rising powers.
How wise does that look, now that the Asian tiger feels strong enough to begin to push the United States out of the Western Pacific, its sovereign seas, and its sphere of influence?
Patrick J. Buchanan is the author of "Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?"
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 3
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 3
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 1
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it - 0
- Some sex assault charges dismissed against former Nashua coach - 0
- Jury deliberating in Plaistow lawyer’s sex assault trial - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, Sudanese family arriving in Manchester tonight - 1
- Pembroke couple recovering from injuries in Dixville ATV crash - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 5
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 2
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism