All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Hudson's Backstreet Bar & Grill expects to be open for dinner after smoky fire

Union Leader Correspondent

December 02. 2013 3:12PM
A malfunctioning rooftop HVAC unit caused a small fire at the Backstreet Bar & Grill in Hudson Monday afternoon. Though the building wasn't damaged in the incident, fire crews from Nashua and Hudson evacuated the restaurant, along with other businesses in the Route 102 Plaza, for about an hour as a safety precaution. (APRIL GUILMET/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDENT)

HUDSON - A malfunctioning heating and air-conditioning unit led to a small fire at The Backstreet Bar & Grill early Monday afternoon, local safety officials said.

Officials said the fire was apparently caused by a power surge moments after a vehicle struck a nearby utility pole on Route 102. The Monday afternoon accident left several nearby neighborhoods without power and sent crews from Public Service of New Hampshire scrambling to fix damages. 

Hudson police and fire officials were summoned to the popular restaurant and pub in the Route 102 Plaza shortly after 1 p.m.

Upon arrival, the dining area and kitchen was filled with heavy billows of smoke and the entire building was promptly evacuated, Hudson Fire Captain Kevin Grebinar said.

A ladder truck from the Nashua Fire Department assisted at the scene, as emergency crews worked to extinguish the fire that had ignited in the building's roof.

"There was significant smoke throughout the building," Grebinar said.

No one was injured in the incident, however, and the building's interior wasn't damaged, according to Grebinar.

Shortly after 2 p.m., fire crews were clearing the scene and the adjacent businesses in the plaza, including the Family Dollar store, were once again open for business.

Fire officials said the Backstreet, a hopping nightspot that's popular with area dart leagues, would be open for dinner this evening once a final inspection of the premises was completed.

Public Safety Hudson

More Headlines