Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Holidays never dull with my three grandsons
"Race!'' he decreed, whereupon big brother Ike agreed it was time for a race through the house.
This caught the ear of Baby Spike, who was at that point crawling across the kitchen table in search of Lord-knows-what.
"Ready! Set! Go!'' yelled Mike, waving the flag and, for once, moving faster than an Obamacare website.
The route ran from the living room, where strewn toys were ready to trip the unwary, through the kitchen and front hall and into the dining room, which had been set up for the small (I lost count at 30) Thanksgiving Day feast, and thus back to the living room.
"He gets his age mixed up with other numbers,'' she said with a shrug.
Mike also gets his food and eating utensils confused.
His mother has all but given up getting him to eat what he doesn't like, so while the others slurped up soup, Mike was presented with sliced apples and a side of peanut butter.
He sometimes forgets to pull up his Batman underwear before yanking up his trousers. Maybe that is why he walks so slowly.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Sometimes, we have too much on our plates - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Chickens come home to roost with lucky German golfers - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: History has a way of repeating itself, and we are doing that with a second 'Memories' book - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Those who do so much good for NH often go unnoticed and unrecognized - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Marmaduke's back — and so's Seinfeld - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Nothing Goofy about a kick in the seat - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'