All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | College Sports

College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play

November 30. 2013 8:35PM
Southern New Hampshire University's Kyle O'Connell, left, Steven Berry, center, and Nathan Bergeron skate away as University of New England players celebrate a goal during the second period of the Penmen's 4-1 loss in the Manchester Police Athletic League/Stovepipe hockey tournament at the Ice Den in Hooksett on Saturday. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)

The University of New England defeated host Southern New Hampshire University, 4-1, in the first round of the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe men's hockey tournament at the Ice Den in Hooksett on Saturday.

UMass-Boston was a 3-1 winner over Johnson and Wales in the other game. UMass-Boston and UNE will meet in the championship game today at 4:30 p.m. at the Ice Den with SNHU and Johnson and Wales playing in the consolation game at 1:30.

Jim Gabrione scored off a Jay Sylvia assist in the first period to give the Penmen (8-2-0) a 1-0 lead, but it was all UNE from there.

Zeth Zielinski, David Goff, Zach Lokey and Nick Kolb scored for UNE (3-5-1).

Women's ice hockey

Ohio State 3, University of New Hampshire 2: At Durham, Hannah Armstrong and Jessica Hitchcock scored to bring the UNH women within a goal, but Ohio State was able to outlast the Wildcats Saturday afternoon at the Whittemore Center.

UNH is now 6-8-2 overall. Ohio State improved to 4-9-2, snapping a nine game winless streak.

UNH freshman goaltender Ashley Wilkes recorded 23 saves, including a game-high 10 stops in the first period. Buckeye netminder Lisa Steffes made eight saves in both the first and third periods to total 23 stops.

Ohio State scored the game's first goal at 17:09 of the first period on a 5-on-3 power play. Julia McKinnon was able to slip the puck past the pad of Wilkes for her second goal of the season.

The Buckeyes doubled their lead in the second period as Melani Moylan notched her first goal of the season unassisted at 12:03.

New Hampshire cut the deficit in half as Armstrong netted her fourth of the season with 42 seconds remaining in the second period.

Curtis Kendall collected a loose puck and buried the rebound to put the Buckeyes up 3-1 with 14:24 remaining in the third period.

The Wildcats were able to get within a goal again on an even strength goal by Hitchcock at 9:29. Nicole Gifford backhanded the puck to Hitchcock across the crease to finish the play with a one-timer.

The Wildcats conclude their home stand against the Buckeyes today at 1 p.m.

College College

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More College Sports

NH Angle