Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester 5-year-old accidentally shoots himself
The boy shot himself while Sonday Bishop, the gun’s owner who lives with the boy’s mother, and the woman were home about 2:30 a.m. in a third-floor apartment at 420 Spruce St., police said.
"Panic," Bishop said of his reaction to the incident. "Not something you want to happen or expect."
Bishop referred to the boy as his son, De’Jon. Police, however, said Bishop is not the boy’s biological father.
"We just left the hospital. He’s doing well," Bishop said upon returning to his apartment building.
Bishop said the boy was shot in the abdomen, but police said it was more in the hip area.
Bishop, who seemed reluctant to talk to a reporter about the shooting, said the boy knew where the gun was kept.
"He pretty much sees where I’m putting it," Bishop said.
Manchester police Detective Richard Nanan said it was too early in the investigation to determine whether Bishop would face any criminal charges.
The gun was not secured in a lock box, Nanan said, and he advised handgun owners with children in the house to get a trigger lock and store the firearm in a lock box or safe.
Police seized a .22-caliber handgun from the apartment.
Police and landlord John Sinclair identified the boy’s mother as Charmaine Beard.
Sinclair said Bishop had lived in the three-bedroom apartment for about a year, initially with his brother. Other people moved in later, including the boy and his mother.
Sinclair said he didn’t hear any shots, but looked out his window during the night.
"The place was surrounded with cops," he said. Sinclair said he saw a child on the lawn and thought he was sick.
"I didn’t even know the guy had a firearm upstairs," Sinclair said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'