Home » News » Public Safety
Landmark Lakes Region restaurant destroyed by Thanksgiving night fire
Fire crews battled a fire that destroyed the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonborough on Thursday night. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
No injuries were reported in the fire, which was battled by firefighters from 10 area communities. The fire was reported at about 10 p.m. at the 128 Lee Road location.
Firefighters and police had not determined the cause as of early this morning.
In 20-degree, windy weather conditions, the fire spread quickly through the main building, which neighbors said is at least 100 years old. It also destroyed the dining space in the buildings behind.
John Murphy, a neighbor and a former manager at the restaurant, said the restaurant was open, having served meals on Thanksgiving until about 7 p.m.
"I've talked to people who were working there, they said everyone was long gone, well before 10 p.m." Murphy said.
Murphy said he heard no explosions.
"All we heard were the sirens, and when I looked out, the main building was mostly gone, flames everywhere," Murphy said.
Police blocked off the road for several hundred feet on either side of the restaurant. Officers would not comment on the fire, saying it was under investigation.
The restaurant, which neighbors said changed owner in recent years, advertises on its website that it is "an authentic 19th-century farmhouse and barn tucked away along quaint country roads and surrounded by open pastures, orchards and mountain vista."
Town firefighters were joined by firefighters from Center Harbor, Sandwich, Holderness, Meredith, Tuftonborough, Tamworth, Gilford, West Ossipee, and Laconia in fighting the fire.
Crews were still on the scene well beyond midnight, as the fire spread through the restaurants expansive dining areas.
A ladder truck from Meredith aided with water from above.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms