Home » News » Public Safety
Landmark Lakes Region restaurant destroyed by Thanksgiving night fire
Fire crews battled a fire that destroyed the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonborough on Thursday night. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
No injuries were reported in the fire, which was battled by firefighters from 10 area communities. The fire was reported at about 10 p.m. at the 128 Lee Road location.
Firefighters and police had not determined the cause as of early this morning.
In 20-degree, windy weather conditions, the fire spread quickly through the main building, which neighbors said is at least 100 years old. It also destroyed the dining space in the buildings behind.
John Murphy, a neighbor and a former manager at the restaurant, said the restaurant was open, having served meals on Thanksgiving until about 7 p.m.
"I've talked to people who were working there, they said everyone was long gone, well before 10 p.m." Murphy said.
Murphy said he heard no explosions.
"All we heard were the sirens, and when I looked out, the main building was mostly gone, flames everywhere," Murphy said.
Police blocked off the road for several hundred feet on either side of the restaurant. Officers would not comment on the fire, saying it was under investigation.
The restaurant, which neighbors said changed owner in recent years, advertises on its website that it is "an authentic 19th-century farmhouse and barn tucked away along quaint country roads and surrounded by open pastures, orchards and mountain vista."
Town firefighters were joined by firefighters from Center Harbor, Sandwich, Holderness, Meredith, Tuftonborough, Tamworth, Gilford, West Ossipee, and Laconia in fighting the fire.
Crews were still on the scene well beyond midnight, as the fire spread through the restaurants expansive dining areas.
A ladder truck from Meredith aided with water from above.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'