Home » News » Public Safety
Landmark Lakes Region restaurant destroyed by Thanksgiving night fire
Fire crews battled a fire that destroyed the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonborough on Thursday night. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
No injuries were reported in the fire, which was battled by firefighters from 10 area communities. The fire was reported at about 10 p.m. at the 128 Lee Road location.
Firefighters and police had not determined the cause as of early this morning.
In 20-degree, windy weather conditions, the fire spread quickly through the main building, which neighbors said is at least 100 years old. It also destroyed the dining space in the buildings behind.
John Murphy, a neighbor and a former manager at the restaurant, said the restaurant was open, having served meals on Thanksgiving until about 7 p.m.
"I've talked to people who were working there, they said everyone was long gone, well before 10 p.m." Murphy said.
Murphy said he heard no explosions.
"All we heard were the sirens, and when I looked out, the main building was mostly gone, flames everywhere," Murphy said.
Police blocked off the road for several hundred feet on either side of the restaurant. Officers would not comment on the fire, saying it was under investigation.
The restaurant, which neighbors said changed owner in recent years, advertises on its website that it is "an authentic 19th-century farmhouse and barn tucked away along quaint country roads and surrounded by open pastures, orchards and mountain vista."
Town firefighters were joined by firefighters from Center Harbor, Sandwich, Holderness, Meredith, Tuftonborough, Tamworth, Gilford, West Ossipee, and Laconia in fighting the fire.
Crews were still on the scene well beyond midnight, as the fire spread through the restaurants expansive dining areas.
A ladder truck from Meredith aided with water from above.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 1
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 1
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers