Ararat Armenian Congregational Church in Salem celebrates 100 years, welcomes pastor
In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, several Armenian families purchased farms in Salem. Traveling the long distance to attend church in Lawrence, Mass., was a hardship, so in October, 1912, a meeting of all Armenians in the area took place, and a building committee was formed.
Much has changed during the past 100 years. Farmland was replaced by shopping malls; the Lawrence church merged with the Salem church; and eventually services were conducted in English instead of Armenian.
Present for Pastor Sam’s first sermon were representations of the NH Conference of the United Church of Christ, the Armenian Evangelical Union of North America, and the Armenian Missionary Association of America.
Throughout the afternoon, guests enjoyed a slideshow of more than 500 photos from events in the life of the church, which played on the restaurant’s many screens. The presentation was prepared by Salem High School student Jack Brunelle, who collected photos from church members.