All Sections

Home | Crime

Autopsies completed on Manchester shooting victims

New Hampshire Union Leader

November 27. 2013 7:42PM

MANCHESTER — Autopsies on two men fatally shot on Lake Avenue Sunday are done, but authorities will not make results public until they complete their analysis of other pieces of information.

"It partially has to do with results themselves. It has to be compared to some other pieces of investigative information that we are getting," Assistant Attorney General Benjamin J. Agati said Wednesday. He said he expects the information will be made public Monday.

Agati would not say if investigators have recovered the weapon or weapons involved in the deadly shootings outside 331 Lake Ave.

Police and federal agents spent several hours Tuesday scouring city streets and rooftops around the shooting scene in search of a firearm and other evidence.

Dr. Thomas Andrew, the state's chief Medical Examiner, performed autopsies Tuesday on the bodies of Charles Cable, 20, and Edgar "Eddie" Hoffens, 22.

Cause and manner of death have been determined in both cases, Agati said.

Cable was found lying on the walkway beside 331 Lake Ave. from an apparent gunshot wound to the head by police responding to a call for gunshots about 3:50 p.m. Sunday, a police affidavit alleges. He died early Monday. Hoffens was dead from a gunshot wound and lying at the base of the first-floor stairs.

Hoffens lived at the first-floor apartment with his family. Cable was listed as living at 178 Central St., Manchester when charged with a domestic assault involving his child's mother and grandmother Oct. 13. Authorities on Wednesday listed Cable's address as 98 Elm St., Apt. 2, in Milford.

Hoffens' younger brother, David H. Hoffens, 21, first told police he shot Cable but didn't mean to, police allege in an affidavit. During an interview at police headquarters, he allegedly admitted to tossing his firearm, holster and sweatshirt as he ran from the shooting scene to avoid arrest, the affidavit said.

David Hoffens faces one felony count of falsifying physical evidence. He was freed Monday on $25,000 cash or surety bail.

No other charges have been brought to date in connection with the shooting, Agati said.

"We don't have any indication that there is some sort of general threat out there to the public as a result of this incident. We believe we know all of the individuals involved," Agati said.

David Hoffens lived in the same apartment with his brother, Edgar, and mother, Cynthia Hoffens. David Hoffens pleaded guilty last month to threatening to kill his brother and was given a fine and suspended sentence.

Crime, law and justice Manchester Top Section Stories

More Headlines