Apr 19, 2014
Apr 10, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Mar 12, 2014
10-20 years is sentence for Colebrook factory explosion
As he concluded his statement, Sanborn turned and faced the victims' family members.
Expert witnesses, during a trial that took much of October, testified that Kendall and Kennett, who had started their jobs just a few weeks earlier, were killed immediately by the powerful initial explosion in the production room. Witnesses told a jury that extremely unsafe conditions prevailed there, including explosive dust coating much of the floors and machinery. That, Coos County Attorney John McCormick repeatedly told jurors, was the fault of Sanborn's negligence and recklessness.
"He's a completely different man than the monster that's being portrayed by the prosecution," Sisti told Bornstein during Wednesday's 2½-hour court session.
When Bornstein gave her the chance Wednesday to present her victim's impact statement, Jesse Kennett's widow, Bethany Kennett, described what she said was the awful day she got the news that there had been an explosion and fire at her husband's workplace.
Striking a balance
The prison term will also carry 150 days additional incarceration for each year of the minimum sentences. Bornstein fined Sanborn $4,000 with an additional $960 penalty assessment on each count, and ordered him to participate in any counseling and treatment programs the corrections department recommends.
In rejecting both that and a call from some victims' family members for the full manslaughter term, Bornstein said he had tried to strike a balance.
After the sentencing, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels issued this statement about Sanborn: "His criminal conviction and sentence won't bring these men back to life, but it will keep him from putting workers' lives in peril. And it should drive home to employers this message: Worker safety can never be sacrificed for the benefit of production, and workers' lives are not-and must never be-considered part of the cost of doing business. We categorically reject the false choice between profits and safety."
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Former Nashua alderman's attorney cries political witch hunt - 0
- Judge increases bail to $100,000 cash for Dover teen accused of starting fire Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester man accused of robbery at knifepoint - 0
- Sunapee man apologizes for deaths of Vermont couple - 0
- Hudson woman arrested in meth lab case - 0
- Candia police investigating possible pitbull fighting - 0
- Man shot by Nashua police says he was acting in self defense - 1
- Diocese issues narrative regarding investigation of monsignor - 0
- Bishops' statements on sentencing of Rev. Msgr. Arsenault - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson woman, Nashua man accused of cooking meth - 1
- Hollis citizens speaking out against controversial gas pipeline - 4
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 1
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
- Total Votes: 917