Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
10-20 years is sentence for Colebrook factory explosion
As he concluded his statement, Sanborn turned and faced the victims' family members.
Expert witnesses, during a trial that took much of October, testified that Kendall and Kennett, who had started their jobs just a few weeks earlier, were killed immediately by the powerful initial explosion in the production room. Witnesses told a jury that extremely unsafe conditions prevailed there, including explosive dust coating much of the floors and machinery. That, Coos County Attorney John McCormick repeatedly told jurors, was the fault of Sanborn's negligence and recklessness.
"He's a completely different man than the monster that's being portrayed by the prosecution," Sisti told Bornstein during Wednesday's 2½-hour court session.
When Bornstein gave her the chance Wednesday to present her victim's impact statement, Jesse Kennett's widow, Bethany Kennett, described what she said was the awful day she got the news that there had been an explosion and fire at her husband's workplace.
Striking a balance
The prison term will also carry 150 days additional incarceration for each year of the minimum sentences. Bornstein fined Sanborn $4,000 with an additional $960 penalty assessment on each count, and ordered him to participate in any counseling and treatment programs the corrections department recommends.
In rejecting both that and a call from some victims' family members for the full manslaughter term, Bornstein said he had tried to strike a balance.
After the sentencing, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels issued this statement about Sanborn: "His criminal conviction and sentence won't bring these men back to life, but it will keep him from putting workers' lives in peril. And it should drive home to employers this message: Worker safety can never be sacrificed for the benefit of production, and workers' lives are not-and must never be-considered part of the cost of doing business. We categorically reject the false choice between profits and safety."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- High speed chase ends in crash in Lyndeborough - 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 3
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 0
- OKC outguns Bonner, Spurs - 0
- Schaller sent back to minors - 0
- Mount Sunapee plan opponents want more hearings - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Circut Court Judge refuses to recuse himself from hearings - 0
- Pipeline push gets a second wind - 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Adding firefighters debated as curb to overtime - 0
Murder suspect fit for trial?
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Pipeline push gets a second wind
Schaller sent back to minors
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483