Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
10-20 years is sentence for Colebrook factory explosion
As he concluded his statement, Sanborn turned and faced the victims' family members.
Expert witnesses, during a trial that took much of October, testified that Kendall and Kennett, who had started their jobs just a few weeks earlier, were killed immediately by the powerful initial explosion in the production room. Witnesses told a jury that extremely unsafe conditions prevailed there, including explosive dust coating much of the floors and machinery. That, Coos County Attorney John McCormick repeatedly told jurors, was the fault of Sanborn's negligence and recklessness.
"He's a completely different man than the monster that's being portrayed by the prosecution," Sisti told Bornstein during Wednesday's 2½-hour court session.
When Bornstein gave her the chance Wednesday to present her victim's impact statement, Jesse Kennett's widow, Bethany Kennett, described what she said was the awful day she got the news that there had been an explosion and fire at her husband's workplace.
Striking a balance
The prison term will also carry 150 days additional incarceration for each year of the minimum sentences. Bornstein fined Sanborn $4,000 with an additional $960 penalty assessment on each count, and ordered him to participate in any counseling and treatment programs the corrections department recommends.
In rejecting both that and a call from some victims' family members for the full manslaughter term, Bornstein said he had tried to strike a balance.
After the sentencing, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels issued this statement about Sanborn: "His criminal conviction and sentence won't bring these men back to life, but it will keep him from putting workers' lives in peril. And it should drive home to employers this message: Worker safety can never be sacrificed for the benefit of production, and workers' lives are not-and must never be-considered part of the cost of doing business. We categorically reject the false choice between profits and safety."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bath man, 73, charged with sexual assault of child - 0
- Two Derry residents charged with burglarizing home - 0
- 4 charged with digging up corpse of NH businessman - 0
- Former Manchester restaurateur convicted of sexual assault - 0
- Check scheme leads to arrests in Nashua - 0
- Nashua police warn of phone scam involving IRS claims - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Three arrested on drug charges after police search apartment - 3
- Seabrook fires two officers for Bergeron brutality - 7
- Former Claremont PTO member arrested for theft - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Cheshire Historical Society receives nearly $1 million - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health
- Total Votes: 917