Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
10-20 years is sentence for Colebrook factory explosion
As he concluded his statement, Sanborn turned and faced the victims' family members.
Expert witnesses, during a trial that took much of October, testified that Kendall and Kennett, who had started their jobs just a few weeks earlier, were killed immediately by the powerful initial explosion in the production room. Witnesses told a jury that extremely unsafe conditions prevailed there, including explosive dust coating much of the floors and machinery. That, Coos County Attorney John McCormick repeatedly told jurors, was the fault of Sanborn's negligence and recklessness.
"He's a completely different man than the monster that's being portrayed by the prosecution," Sisti told Bornstein during Wednesday's 2½-hour court session.
When Bornstein gave her the chance Wednesday to present her victim's impact statement, Jesse Kennett's widow, Bethany Kennett, described what she said was the awful day she got the news that there had been an explosion and fire at her husband's workplace.
Striking a balance
The prison term will also carry 150 days additional incarceration for each year of the minimum sentences. Bornstein fined Sanborn $4,000 with an additional $960 penalty assessment on each count, and ordered him to participate in any counseling and treatment programs the corrections department recommends.
In rejecting both that and a call from some victims' family members for the full manslaughter term, Bornstein said he had tried to strike a balance.
After the sentencing, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels issued this statement about Sanborn: "His criminal conviction and sentence won't bring these men back to life, but it will keep him from putting workers' lives in peril. And it should drive home to employers this message: Worker safety can never be sacrificed for the benefit of production, and workers' lives are not-and must never be-considered part of the cost of doing business. We categorically reject the false choice between profits and safety."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- Suspected Pa. cop-killer Eric Frein taken into custody - 0
- Anonymous tip leads to arrest of moose poacher - 0
- Victim in Hampton pedestrian crash files lawsuit against driver, town and state - 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483