Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Deerfield man pleads guilty after heroin death
Joshua Leighton, 23, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled drug and a misdemeanor count of breaching bail conditions on Monday in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Deerfield police arrested Leighton on the drug possession charge while investigating the death of James O’Rourke, according to prosecutors.
Leighton was later charged in July by Deerfield police with providing O’Rourke with a fatal dose of heroin, but prosecutors have not obtained an indictment in that case.
The plea deal was struck after defense lawyer Andrew Wilson asked a judge to dismiss charges against his client.
He received a suspended jail sentence for violating a court order to have no contact with Katelynn Giuffre, of Deerfield, who also faced a drug possession charge, prosecutors said. Leighton had contact with Giuffre at the Exit 5 Park & Ride in Londonderry sometime between Jan. 31 and Feb. 9, according to prosecutors.
Leighton could have faced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison and a $25,000 fine had he been convicted of a drug charge by a jury. Prosecutors dropped a felony witness tampering charge for having contact with Giuffre.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter police say man briefly suffocated 3-year-old girl - 0
- Police say Raymond man hit friend who tried to stop him from driving drunk - 0
- Affidavit: Driver accused in fatal Nashua hit and run had been drinking - 3
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 1
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 6
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 2
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal would create formidable giant - 0
- NH College Notebook: Rye's Drummond sets Smith College scoring mark - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Boston among worst cities for gridlock - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
George Will: The face of IRS behavior