Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Police search for gunmen in two Manchester robberies
MANCHESTER — A hair stylist and her customer were robbed by a gunman Monday evening in a Chestnut Street shop while, three hours later, a gunman tried to rob two women smoking outside the Red Arrow on Lowell Street.
The first incident happened about 7 p.m. at Hair Decor, 414 Chestnut St. Jane Elliot, 66, was styling a customer's hair when a man walked in, pulled a silver revolver from his waistband, pointed it at her and demanded money from the register.
He then pointed the gun at her customer and demanded her money as well. He fled with the cash and was last seen running north on Chestnut Street.
Elliot wasn't working Tuesday, but Debbie Sverkos, who co-owns the shop with her, said nothing like that has ever happened before. The salon has been in business 40 years.
Sverkos said she hasn't seen Elliot to talk to her about it yet, but imagines she was shook up. "If somebody came in and pointed a gun at you, wouldn't you be?" she asked.
The robber is described as a black man in his 20s, about 6 foot tall with a thin build, wearing a gray, hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans. He was armed with a silver revolver.
Three hours later about 10 p.m., police went to the Red Arrow at 61 Lowell St. for another reported robbery.
Two women, ages 20 and 23, were standing in the lot next to a vehicle smoking cigarettes when a man approached, pulled out a handgun and demanded a purse from one woman and money from the other. When the women explained they didn't have a purse or any money, he asked for the cigarette one of them was smoking and left on foot with the cigarette, heading east on Seneca Lane toward Chestnut Street.
They described the man as black, in his 20s, 5-foot-10 to 6-feet tall with a thin to medium build. He was wearing a dark, hooded sweatshirt and baggy jeans or sweatpants. One of the women thought he might be wearing a black "beanie" style hat. A short time before the incident, the same man was seen in the area accompanied by a tall, thin white man wearing baggy clothing.
Anyone with information about either incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made through Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man accused of new crimes while out on bail faces hearing - 0
- Gorham man arraigned for kidnapping Abigail Hernandez, but details remain scarce - 0
- Ex-Manchester police officer pleads guilty to felonies related to helping drug dealer - 2
- Lancaster man indicted for possessing child sex abuse images - 0
- Former Nashua court officer waives hearing on sexual assault charges - 0
- MBTA police officer arrested two more times following house party arrest in Salem - 0
- Mass. man charged in car registration tax dodge - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- NH medical board suspends Manchester doctor's license - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917