Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Police search for gunmen in two Manchester robberies
MANCHESTER — A hair stylist and her customer were robbed by a gunman Monday evening in a Chestnut Street shop while, three hours later, a gunman tried to rob two women smoking outside the Red Arrow on Lowell Street.
The first incident happened about 7 p.m. at Hair Decor, 414 Chestnut St. Jane Elliot, 66, was styling a customer's hair when a man walked in, pulled a silver revolver from his waistband, pointed it at her and demanded money from the register.
He then pointed the gun at her customer and demanded her money as well. He fled with the cash and was last seen running north on Chestnut Street.
Elliot wasn't working Tuesday, but Debbie Sverkos, who co-owns the shop with her, said nothing like that has ever happened before. The salon has been in business 40 years.
Sverkos said she hasn't seen Elliot to talk to her about it yet, but imagines she was shook up. "If somebody came in and pointed a gun at you, wouldn't you be?" she asked.
The robber is described as a black man in his 20s, about 6 foot tall with a thin build, wearing a gray, hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans. He was armed with a silver revolver.
Three hours later about 10 p.m., police went to the Red Arrow at 61 Lowell St. for another reported robbery.
Two women, ages 20 and 23, were standing in the lot next to a vehicle smoking cigarettes when a man approached, pulled out a handgun and demanded a purse from one woman and money from the other. When the women explained they didn't have a purse or any money, he asked for the cigarette one of them was smoking and left on foot with the cigarette, heading east on Seneca Lane toward Chestnut Street.
They described the man as black, in his 20s, 5-foot-10 to 6-feet tall with a thin to medium build. He was wearing a dark, hooded sweatshirt and baggy jeans or sweatpants. One of the women thought he might be wearing a black "beanie" style hat. A short time before the incident, the same man was seen in the area accompanied by a tall, thin white man wearing baggy clothing.
Anyone with information about either incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made through Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 0
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 5
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heavy, wet snow causes extended outages for Unitil customers - 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483