Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Judge refused to lower bail for Somersworth man indicted in fatal crash
On Nov. 14, a grand jury indicted Matthew Tsopas, 44, previously of Blackwater Road, Somersworth, on charges of manslaughter, three counts of aggravated driving while intoxicated, one count of reckless conduct, three counts of simple assault, one count of attempted simple assault and four counts of conduct after an accident.
On Friday, Tsopas' attorney Harry Starbranch asked Judge Kenneth Brown to reduce bail to $25,000 cash or corporate surety. Starbranch argued the reduction was justified as Tsopas has no criminal record, has the support of his family in the area and is willing to adhere to all court orders to appear and seek treatment.
"These aren't things he took for recreation — this was something prescribed to him," Starbranch said, adding Tsopas is currently on different medications.
Velardi argued it continues to worry him how Tsopas showed a lack of control by allegedly mixing prescription drugs with alcohol. "All this does is fan the flames of my concern," Velardi said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 0
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 6
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 2
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
- Bay State following in NH's footsteps with 'upskirting' law - 2
- Epping supermarket worker arrested after brutal break room attack on female coworker - 10
- Nashua woman arrested in connection with homeless man's hit-and-run death - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief