NH man witnessed JFK ceremonies perched high in the Capitol Dome
Westhall shared his exclusive photographs with the New Hampshire Union Leader this week.
One shows the Kennedy casket delivered on a horse-drawn caisson, with a riderless horse behind it. Trees are bare, the lawn has turned its November brown, and hundreds of mourners are grouped in an arc on one side of the plaza, others in a line on the other.
"It was just a quiet picture, a quiet scene. You didn't hear anything; it was stark silence," said Westhall, an author and retired tennis tournament promoter.
Westhall landed on his perch thanks to a fellow congressional aide, Pennsylvania native Gerry Schiappa, who at the time worked for a Pennsylvania congressman whose office was across the hall from Wyman's. Westhall said Schiappa, who became a lifelong friend, befriended everyone in the Capitol. So when the Kennedy procession arrived, Sciappa grabbed Westhall and five others and they made their way to the dome walkway.
Sciappa later worked for Wyman as well. Westhall said Sciappa's widow spends part of the year at a family summer home in Wolfeboro.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire