Home » News » Public Safety
Gilford police chief says relationship was no reason to dismiss him
Keenan had been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 28, when an investigation began into an alleged relationship with Student Resource Officer Holly Harris. He had been with the department for nearly 20 years; he was appointed chief in October 2011.
"I never said that she was not working, but I can confirm to you that she is working now," Dunn said prior to Wednesday night's meeting.
"It is with tremendous regret that I tender my resignation," Keenan said in a statement that he read to selectmen.
Keenan said he made selectmen aware of the relationship. He said Selectman Gus Benevides claimed to be supportive of him. He understood that there would be an investigation from an independent group that the town often uses as a third-party consultant.
He said if the town accused him of adultery, "if charged, I'd defend it."
He said the town informed him late Wednesday afternoon that he was going to be "terminated for just cause" if he did not resign from his $83,500-a-year position.
"I'm not telling any person in the town of Gilford, New Hampshire, how to feel about my relationship," he said. "But I have a problem with anyone who thinks it should have been the cause of my dismissal."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain